[NAFEX] re: grass type for orchard

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu Jun 9 00:45:46 EDT 2005

How about subclovers, (subterranean clovers) or a blend containing them?
They are low-growing clovers intended for interplanting in orchards.  They
look nice, add nitrogen to the soil, act as a weed control mulch, and freely
reseed.   You can apply as light as ½ lb. per thousand feet, or as heavy as
2 lbs, so seed cost would be between $1.50 to $8.00 per 1000 square feet
depending on how heavily you seed and where you buy your blend.  Going light
is fine, you’ll get decent coverage the first year and very full in years
after.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Mark River
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 6:41 PM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] re: grass type for orchard

Responding to Charlie's questions about brome grass:

1.)  I would be reomoving the brome with very little machinery - I have
access to a hand sprayer and a rototiller.
3.)  The soil has plenty of lime.  The brome absolutely dominates, and is
currently not mowed.  My location is high & dry (although we get a fair
amount of precip here in Western Iowa).

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mark
Manning, IA  -  Zone 5a

Before we try to answer, Mark can you provide a little more information?
1] If the Brome grass were removed, who would remove it, and with what
machinery?
2] What equipment is at your disposal?  Mower?  Disc harrow?  Plow?
3] Do you believe your soil to have sufficient lime?  Is the brome
dominating or are there persistant obnoxious weed?  Is the brome regularly
mowed currently?  Is the orchard location high and dry or wet and low?

Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts

Hello, I'm planting a small hobby orchard ... What type of grass is ideal
for an orchard?
Mark
Manning, Iowa, zone 5a