[NAFEX] grass type for orchard?

Mark River mark at markriver.com
Tue Jun 7 17:54:12 EDT 2005

Hello, I'm planting a small hobby orchard (pawpaw, persimmon, peach, cherry, etc) into an old brome field.  I am mulching 3' or so around each of the trees.  Someone told me that brome is a bad companion for trees as its dense root system crowds out the tree roots.  What type of grass is ideal for an orchard?  Has anyone tried buffalo grass?  I would like something that ideally I don't have to mow...  How bad of a problem will I have if I leave the brome?

Thanks,
Mark
Manning, Iowa, zone 5a