[NAFEX] Fall Planting

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sat Jun 4 22:06:08 EDT 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:

> Opinions please from all you experts with far more experience in
> growing fruit than I.
>
> Is it better to plant fruit trees in late summer or early fall than in
> spring?  If so, why?  There are plenty of bargains available in late
> summer, from catalogs and at garden centers.  I'm tempted to take
> advantage of the cheaper prices, especially if there are advantages.
> With ornamental trees and shrubs, you gain a season's growth with fall
> planting, or so says the conventional wisdom.
> Doreen Howard

I have less experience than you, but I think it depends partly on how
cold hardy the plant is in your climate.  If it's fully cold-hardy,
then it's okay if it's not completely established come winter, and it
gets an early start in the spring.  If it's marginally cold hardy it is
more likely to suffer winter damage and be set back than if it had a
full season to establish itself.

For what it's worth, a local horticulturalist told me the middle of the
summer is a fine time for planting balled&burlaped trees so long as you
water a whole lot until fall.  I don't know if I believe him, though. .
.  (Obviously you can't bare-root an actively growing plant with
leaves.)

Ginda