[NAFEX] Re: Sugar that's not so sweet

Doc Lisenby longdistshtr at shtc.net
Thu Jun 2 20:40:26 EDT 2005

Big problem for figs in sandy soil is root nematodes.  I have seen nematodes
in other than sandy soil.  In fact, I get best results here in clay if I
plant figs next to building foundations to allow the roots to go under the
foundation and escape the shallow-soil-dwelling nematodes.  Leaving the
upper part of a plastic pot in which young figs have been started is said to
force the roots down deeper into the soil.
It may work, but I haven't proved it to myself yet.
I think I will try the sugar.  Thanks Bruce.  I got the spell checker.  I
appreciate your suggestion.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8