[NAFEX] Fireblight worse than usual this year?

kieran or donna redherring at tnaccess.com
Wed Jun 1 23:29:09 EDT 2005

I don't know as I haven't had bearing trees. I almost said "bearing age",
but they are bearing age, just not bearing size due to the bad soil.  But I
was very surprised to see a little grafted tree of "Dixie Delight" blight
and completely die in the last few weeks.  No late frost, droughty
conditions.  No sign of blight in any of the other rootstocks or grafted
pears in pots.  Some are on pear, some on hawthorn.  I don't know what the
pear rootstock is, it's not thorny like calleryana, came from Lawyer's I
think.  Looked like the stock blighted first, then moved up to the graft.
Donna