[NAFEX] Fig varieties

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 21:04:36 EST 2005

I know there are passionate fig-lovers in nafex... I could use
some variety advice.  I am pretty sure I can grow figs here
(someone gave me a bunch of delicious local green figs this
past fall), but I don't know if I should put in a PNW-type or a
California-type; we are much drier and hotter (weeks with highs
over 100) than the rest of the PNW; though we technically aren't
in California, we're just a few miles off and sunset zone 7 is
mostly in northern California.

Several of the PNW-recommended figs, like Osborne and Brown
Turkey, say "best fresh", but I'd want something I can dry as
well as eat fresh.

Also - unrelated to figs - I'd never heard of the
fruit "Prinsepia sinensis" that's in One Green World's new
catalog.  Any good?

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall