[NAFEX] currant events

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Dec 30 02:23:31 EST 2005

Those currants are dried Zante grapes, ake currant grapes, aka champagne
grapes.  No, they don't make Champagne from them.  They're very small,
good-flavored grapes.   Small and dark, like black currants.  Maybe the
marketers think they look like Champagne bubbles?  So dried Zante grapes are
called currants, and dried currants are called - dried currants.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Deb Schneider
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 6:56 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] citron

Having just made a fruitcake (panforte) after a lot of research and
purchasing of ingredients online I discovered that what "citron" is a fruit
(a citrus peel), candied lemon and orange peel are appropriate
substitutions.  I also found that dried "currants" used in recipes like Hot
Cross Buns are actually raisins.

deb