[NAFEX] Ripening red delicious

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Thu Dec 29 19:56:35 EST 2005

Late September to early October is not unusual for Red Delicious, depending
on the EXACT CULTIVAR.    Picking them early doesn't hurt if they are stored
correctly.  Our Dixie Red Delicious were our best ever this year and have
lasted in refrigeration through this past Monday when we cleaned out our
remaining inventory for the Society of St. Andrews.  You will want to
refrigerate them at 34 degrees, not 40 though.  Don't let them get above 35
because breakdown can begin at 36 degrees.
The higher the holding temperature, the greater the softening and
respiration rate and the sooner the quality becomes unacceptable. Apples
respire and degrade twice as fast at 40 F as at 32 F. At 60 F they will
respire and degrade more than six times faster. The optimum storage
temperature for apples depends on the variety, but all are within the range
from 30 to 40 F. Most apple varieties are best stored at or near 34 F.
Apples are moderately susceptible to freeze damage at 27 F and will freeze
at 25 F. Temperatures more than 1 or 2 degrees below freezing should be
avoided for storage.  Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com