[NAFEX] Citron

Doc Lisenby longdistshtr at shtc.net
Thu Dec 29 10:45:51 EST 2005

According to my Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia:
Citron/Preserving Melon is Citrullus vulgaris var. citroides.  The rind is
used for making conserves and sweet pickles.
Citron is Citrus medica, an Asiatic tree, the fruit is yellow and the thick,
rough, fragrant rind is candied.
I'm guessing, but I think the fruitcake citron is the imported candied ones
you can buy at the grocery store.  I just assumed that they were the same
thing.  They look like watermelon pickles to me. I'll bet those Mexican
Americans near Hendersonville could tell you something to do with the
citron/preserving melon.  If I recall correctly, I saw some growing wild in
Mexico.  If I saw a Citron Tree in China, Korea, Viet Nam or Japan, I didn't
know it.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8