[NAFEX] Book suggestions

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Tue Dec 27 22:56:56 EST 2005

Hi SportsFans,
Besides a DVD of the Blues Brothers movie, the other present of note I got for
Christmas is a really great book:
Trees of the Northern United States and Canada by John Laird Farrar. Probably the
best informative reference/ID book on trees from Maine to Alaska, Pennsylvania to
the Hudson Bay, also common non-natives. The best color photos and drawings EVER in
such a book, 502 pages, 10 x 6 inches or so, hardbound, indispensible. Here's an
example of how it has everything: It has a section in the back telling you all
about (in brief live's work, study, nationality, adventures) the individuals whose
names are attached after the especial epithet (like Pinus ponderosa Dougl. ex P&C
Laws), ie Botanical Authors the first folks to have described a certain tree. Then
a section after that defining every latin/greek/whatever term used in the Tree
binomes. Like banksiana = after Sir Joseph Banks (1739-1823), president of the
Royal Society of London. Runs $50 or so bucks. You'll never lend it out except when
you are old and have a favorite grandkid and you leave it to them. You'll finally
start lending out those other woody ID books, knowing this one is safe and sound.
Spouses may need their own.

I was also lucky enough to peruse thoroughly the following worthwhile purchase,
about $35:
The Pruning of Trees, Shrubs, and Conifers, 2nd edition, by George E. Brown,
revised by Tony Kirkham.
This book is written originally and revised by the past and present head arborists
at the Kew Botanic Gardens. Mr. Brown passed on, and Mr. Kirkham added on (I was
unclear whether Mr. Brown collaborated in its early stages). Great work about
pruning, starting from nursery management/training into young tree care into adult
years maintenance. The second half of the book is a Genus breakdown of care,
culture, significant attributes relating to arboriculture of many woody plants in
common usage or in Kew's collection. Includes many North American natives and lots
we all are familiar with. One of the few modern books that may lead to trees you
plant in your yard living 100 years and becoming "specimens". Wished it on all my
tree enemies and friends. Full of Alex Shigo tree practices plus more. Well written
and actually a good read, even "light" and "easy" to enjoy, but not a mickey-mouse
affair.

Hope you like them as much as I did. I wish you all lived closer so we could ooh
and aaah together! Books about Trees that are worth the destruction of the trees
for the paper are rare.
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine