[NAFEX] Prunning Raspberry

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Dec 26 20:11:58 EST 2005

We grow several varieties of raspberries here at Royal oak Farm, both summer
and fall.  Our pruning on summer berries begins soon after harvest is
complete by removing all the canes that fruited. We simply mow them down
with a bush hog.  This improves light penetration and air circulation for
the canes that will fruit next year. Also, we remove any new canes that are
growing outside of the 12- to 18-inch row width, or show obvious symptoms of
insect or disease damage. In the spring before the buds break, we thin the
remaining canes, leaving only four to five of the sturdiest per foot of row.

Everbearing or fall-bearing red raspberries bear a late-season crop on
first-year canes. If they are pruned in the same manner as the
summer-bearing types, they will bear two crops per season; one in the summer
on the second-year canes, and one in the fall on the first-year canes.
Everbearing raspberries can also be managed to produce only the fall crop.

Simply mow all the canes down early each spring. During the summer, cut down
any new canes that develop outside the 12- to 18- inch row width and thin
the remaining canes to about six inches apart, leaving the sturdiest. This
technique greatly reduces pruning labor, but also eliminates the summer
crop. Unfortunately, most everbearing cultivars, such as Heritage, produce
the fall crop too late in the season to escape damage from frost especially
in most of northern New England.

For black and purple raspberries, pinch off the top four inches of new canes
when they reach about three feet in height. Blackberries should be pinched
when they reach four feet. This encourages the canes to form side branches,
or laterals, which will bear the fruit in the following year. Remove all
canes that fruited following harvest. In the early spring, thin the
remaining canes, leaving only five to seven of the sturdiest per hill. Cut
the side branches back to 12 buds (usually about 12 inches in length) and
tie the canes to the wire or post for support.

Remove all plant waste from the field after pruning and destroy it,
preferably by burning. Leaving dead canes in the planting will encourage the
spread of disease.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard