[NAFEX] Black Huckleberry Question

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Sun Dec 25 09:07:35 EST 2005

   We have so many customers asking for Huckleberry Jam that we decided to
try growing it (Gaylussacia baccata).  I found a zone 3 nursery that
grows/sells it so 18" plants are coming.  The pH of the ground where I'll
plant them is 6.1 so I got a recommendation from my soils lab for further
acidifying, down to 4.6.
   Now for the question:  I'd like to hear from folks who grow it.  What
should I expect?  Should they be pruned?  If so, how and when?  Fertilizer
requirements?  And anything else you may thing of that might be helpful.
Thanks.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm