[NAFEX] GRIN help?

Joe Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Thu Dec 22 17:34:28 EST 2005

http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html

Query on species name or a common cultivar of the species.  I.e, Concord, Bartlett, Allstar, Fuji....

Click on hyperlink for species at top, Malus domestica , or whatever.

-or-

more interesting, click on Observations link.

find the attribute you are interested in

Click on Observed values

Click on the histogram "bin" that most interests you.
*****************************

Cultivar descriptions are spotty.  Some are well fleshed out

(Cornish Aromatic) apple
Narrative
Comments:: Size medium to large 60-73; 50-65 mm; shape flat to inter- mediate truncate-conic to conic, convex, ribbed at eye and on body; skin yellow flushed orange and red, and striped deeper red with russet dots and patches, rough. Flesh firm, crisp, fine, creamy white; flavor sweet, subacid, aromatic; season late. Tree: vigorous, upright, spreading. Produces spurs freely.

and some are sparse

Seyve Villard 7-111
Narrative
Blue berry, medium size. Medium-large compact cluster. Average vine size, good production. Winter hardy.

Good luck!

-Joe

> Well, a chance google-search showed me how to get into the accessions/ fruit
> descriptions pages, but sometimes there's nothing in the 'narrative'
> paragraph-- the one which describes the tree & fruit.  Sometimes it contains
> only the comment : "record owned by PGQO on GRIN"
>
> I tried more internet searches for this, and all I could find was various
> lists of ARS distributions data, w/o any real content.  Can anyone describe
> how to find a fruit description paragraph buried somewhere in the apparently
> huge PGQO database?

> No exceptions.

> NAFEX web site:   <a href="http://www.nafex.org/" target="_blank">http://www.nafex.org/</a>

---