[NAFEX] Weather Maps, etc.

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Thu Dec 22 12:28:42 EST 2005

Well, as long as we are talking temperatures, zones, etc., I'll throw my 2
cents worth in.  Zone charts are relative.  History repeats itself.  So does
weather.  And most importantly, God is faithful!

I use the historical weather data for our county (McHenry County in northern
Illinois)and take the historical low and the historical high and then I know
how cold it can get and how hot it can get.  Everything in between is
relative.  We buy our trees from a nursery that is within the relatively
same Zone (5) we are in and take it from there.

There is only one weather factor that I watch closely and that is the jet
stream, which so far this winter has been coming down out of Canada bringing
unusually cold temps for our county at this early date.  We have a good snow
cover of about 14 inches that is protecting the trees and we have plastic
wraps around our 11,000 trees to protect them from the voles with the heavy
snow cover.

I find that the jet stream is a great predictor of temperatures and, using
http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag192.html I can get a 3 day forecast of
temperature movements to prepare for harsh temps if need be.  I also use
http://www.weatherimages.org/index.html#aviation to get other weather info
since it is a one stop weather shop so to speak.  Hope this info is useful.
Thank you for contacting us!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard