[NAFEX] Micro-climate

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Thu Dec 22 08:35:58 EST 2005

    My garden and orchard are surrounded by pine trees that absorb heat by
day and radiate it by night.  Consequently, my first frost is frequently
three to four weeks later than the first frost just a half mile away where
there are no pine trees.  When they get, say, 30°, I might get 36°.  If the
first frost follows an overcast day, the temperature difference can be as
little as 2° to 3°.
    Once there is snow on the ground, though, my micro-climate evaporates.
My low Winter temperature is congruent with any other in this area.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm