[NAFEX] Winter Nelis pear

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed Dec 21 20:23:56 EST 2005

I have Winter Nelis.  It's a wonderful  fruit, and a horrible tree.
The fruit is wonderfully buttery, sweet and juicy and keeps better than
any other pear.  With most pears, if you take them out of cold storage,
they start to ripen and you can't stop the process.  With WN, take them
out, and put them back and they go back into "sleep" and continue to
hold.
The down side is that the tree has a horrible brushy "witch's broom"
growth habit combined with the worst susceptability to pear aphid I've
ever seen, and the tree is always covered with black sooty mold that
grows on the aphid "honey dew".  I knew a very good commercial grower
who kept a couple trees for himself, but wouldn't plant them to grow
because they were too hard to handle.  I have a tree of it, but it's
such a mess I almost never get fruit.
In short, don't grow it unless you put it on a very dwarf stock and
spray the living daylights out of it.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.