[NAFEX] Importance of Rootstock Root Condition

sherwindu sherwindu at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 22:46:46 EST 2005

There is a lot of discussion going around people I know who have done
extensive
grafting.  They maintain that a rootstock (usually apple) that has a few
scraggly
roots attached has an equal chance of both surviving and supporting a
scion grafted
onto it, than an identical variety with plentiful roots attached.  I
have lost several rootstocks of this condition either during the same
season of purchase, or the following year.  They were handled properly,
put into pots, watered, and dug into my garden bed for the winter.  Most
of them did not survive nor did any of the scions take. I also feel that
my grafting success rate may be lessened by this kind of rootstock.  I
welcome the experiences of others on this matter.