[NAFEX] Growing Blackberries in the North

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Fri Dec 16 14:24:51 EST 2005

Jim,

We have some blackberries that just wont seem to die here in Zone 4/5 of
northern Illinois.  They have been plowed under at leat 4 times, raspberries
planted in their place, and they still came back and overtook the
raspberries.  They are from Indiana Berry and the varieties are:

 Chester--1985 Maryland (Thornfree x Darrow)--Chester is the most winter
hardy of the thornless varieties. It is a late season berry with large fruit
and mild flavor. Chester is most resistant to caneblight caused by
Botryosphaeria dothidea. The fruit is of high quality, does not soften or
leak color on hot sunny days.

Arapaho--(Plant Patented #8510)--Arapaho fruit is short-conic, bright glossy
black and firm. Soluble solids concentration are high but slightly lower
than that of Navaho. An important positive characteristic is its small seed
size. Seeds are significantly smaller than those of Navaho and Shawnee, but
slightly larger than those of Choctaw. It ripens 11 days earlier than Navaho
and 2 days before Shawnee, and it is the earliest ripening thornless
blackberry cultivar known to date. The fruiting period of Arapaho is
concentrated into less than 4 weeks. The plants are moderately vigorous and
erect in growth habit. They have good resistance to cold injury at
temperatures as low as -24C. No disease problems have been noted following a
fungicide program consisting of one application of liquid lime-sulfur at
budbreak. No orange rust has been observed when grown in areas of high
inoculum. This berry is more prolific in producing primocanes from roots
than the Navaho. The outstanding characteristics are thornless, erect,
self-supporting canes, good fruit quality, earliness of ripening, and its
ability to establish a full fruiting row quickly. This variety will
compliment Navaho in providing a long harvest season for quality, thornless
blackberries.

We plowed them under when we had a bad case of rust.  We destroyed all the
plants above ground prior to plowing and then gathered up all the remainder
after plowing under the roots.  2 years later, there they were again,
sprouting between the raspberries we planted in their place.  Now they have
overtaken the raspberries and the customers pick them right along with the
raspberries!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard