[NAFEX] Blow flower

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Fri Dec 16 12:49:47 EST 2005

>From personal herbal use and historical application, the elder flowers are used in
tea as fever reducers and in tincture as a gentlier substitute for echinacea root.
Elder "blow" as I've known it refers to the stage of a flower when a slight air or
branch movement will cause the petals to fall. It is at this time that the flowers
are the easiest to gather for food, medicine, etc. Petal-fall is what most of use
to refer to this as. Elder flowers reach "blow" stage depending on sunlight/shade
and higher branches release before lower branches. So there is actually a "season"
for about 3 weeks where elder flowers can be harvested. Harvesting at blow ensures
a crop of berries that fall as the ovary itself is left intact on the plant.
 sincerely,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Fri Dec 16  9:17 , Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr at shtc.net> sent: