[NAFEX] Growing Blackberries in the North

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:52:50 EST 2005

Wow.  Thanks for inventing that wheel.  I might have sent you some plants if
here the blackberry performance didn't appear to rely so much on soil,
microclimate, luck, etc.

I'm afraid to plant blackberries, because they are the most vigorously
spreading monster.  Big arching canes AND root-suckers.  Then include the
usual thorns, and I'd much rather grow something else!

Sorry about the marsh-hay mulch suggestion; yes, just removing "most" of
this in the spring would be too time-consuming.  Pine needles might be a
little better, but not much.

tc, s.WI, z4/5, various soils in the neighborhood therefore different berry
performances