[NAFEX] blackberry cold tolerance

lee reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Thu Dec 15 14:56:38 EST 2005

I'm in Zone 4/5. Darrow is very hardy and very tasty but also very
thorny, so much so that I stopped growing thorny blackberries.
Chester winterkills somewhat here but usually enough canes survive
for some crop. I'm now trying more tender blackberries whose canes I
put on the ground in late fall and then cover with straw or leaves.
It's a hassle but survival is usually good. I've been successful
doing this with Doyle thornless and Marionberry.

Lee Reich, PhD
www.leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden