[NAFEX] Maple syrup and further physiology

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Mon Dec 12 22:24:07 EST 2005

Sorry, a correction folks. Down near the bottom of this explanation it say that
sugar released into the vessels during late winter freezing and thawing would have
gone to the buds to help the prepare for WINTER if we didn't tap the tree. This
should say SPRING. Sorry, I was losing my concentration toward the end.
Heron

On Mon Dec 12 18:01 , Heron Breen <breen at fedcoseeds.com> sent:

> [...]
xylem
>(wood) and the parenchyma sugar storage/transport cells. These cells do interact,
>actually, but it is good to keep them clear in your mind before melding them. As
>the sugar solution is transported into the wood, parenchyma and other
cells, "fill"
>up and/or use some of the sugar and water for cell functions. Sometimes, if the
>tree is really going great and has lots of leaves and sun, the parenchyma can't
>store all the sugar and water at their disposal. This would be similar to our
>bodies only being able to absorb so much vitamin C and hour, regardless of intake.
>Many parenchyma cells abut the water transport vessels and "leftover" water
>regularly returns to the vessels for another journey to the top. Sometimes a small
>amount of leftover sugar gets released into the vessels as well. But this is a
very
>very little amount of sugar and it gets put back into use by cambium up top. This
>description might encourage one to think of these vessels and parenchyma as able
>and readily willing to share their goods regularly. This is not the case. For more
>than 75% of the year, they are mostly seperate.
>This changes in the Fall. Almost all the stored sugar is meant for the spring push
>of buds, flowers, leaves. Throughout the Fall, parenchyma are turning the sugars
>into starch (long-term storage form of sugar). A lot of this starch is "dumped"
>(see below paragraphs for "dumped" explanation) into the vessels and pumped by the
>water upward and outward. Buds formed that summer are given a massive amount of
>starch build-up in the wood behind the bud to draw from in the spring. Remember
>photosynthesis is barely happening during spring (a little from the cortex) and
>trees come out of dormancy and begin cambial activity from the top down, so the
>starch needs to be already in place for a bud to grow either leaf or flower. Most
>buds are on wood that have a limited number (sometimes only 1 or 2) of growth
rings
>worth of xylem backing it up for fuel, so parenchyma from more thick xylem send
>theirs. This sugar release into the vessels from the parenchyma takes place after
>the leaves have fallen usually. This is why collecting scionwood and dormant
>cuttings in the fall can have variable results and must generally be done in late
>November into December at the earliest here in Maine.
>This brings us to maple syrup. Along with parenchyma and vessels, there are lots
of
>fiber cells in the wood. They store water as well as adding the structural
>integrity of the tree. Fiber cells need to be dead to function structurally, and
>their walls are made up of criss=crossing layers of bundled cellulose (which is in
>turn bundled starch chains) and lignin which is the equivalent of tree lanolin.
The