[NAFEX] Elderberry Recipes

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Mon Dec 12 16:32:16 EST 2005

Doreen, a game dinner for Christmas sounds wonderful.

If I wanted to serve a fruit sauce with game, Cumberland Sauce would
come to mind or a sauce like the one that is made for Salmi of Duck.
Black currant (used somewhat sparingly) might also be a good fruit to
use.  Starting from scratch, I'd probably use game stock; fruit juice,
jelly, syrup or wine; orange and lemon zest and juice; spices, such as
mace, black pepper, and allspice; possibly bay leaf and thyme; and maybe
even brandy or port.

However, I did a little surfing and found some recipes that read well
and might serve as jump-off points for concocting a suitable sauce for
your game dinner.  Hope these help:

Roast Squab w/ Elderberry Sauce
http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=recipes.recipe&iID=511923

Roast Duck with Elderberry (or Blackberry) Sauce
http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/recipes/recipesearch/Recipe/0109032-r
02.asp

Pontack Sauce http://www.patch-work.demon.co.uk/elder.htm

Good luck and let us know what you ended up serving with the game. --
Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.