[NAFEX] bark damage-- recap.

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 11 10:27:11 EST 2005

Graet info, HB, but I had arboriculture classes too, and I don't see the
memory trick you describe as being easier than "Phlo-up" & "xy-down".  (One
way being wrong, but fortunately both being forgettable.)

For those who would remember these, and in many years of using arboriculture
principles I've never used these terms other than here and in classrooms,
how about this:  When you dig thru the bark, you hit the phloem before the
xylem.  This works whether you alphabetize the printed words or their
phonetics.  I for one have always been able to remember which is upward
transport & which is downward -- THAT makes sense!

Also good to remember is at **** below.  Best not to cause injury, including
pruning, "when leaves are forming or falling."