[NAFEX] rabbiteye blueberries in KY

hector black hblack1925 at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 10 19:36:54 EST 2005

We have wonderful production and excellent flavor on our two rabbit eye
varieties here.  We planted 25% Climax and 75% Tifblue.  Some people prefer
one, some the other.  We picked berries from the last week of June until the
second week of Sept.  Now that's a long time for any fruit to be in
production.  The only time we had serious damage was when it went to 28
below zero F. maybe 18 years ago. There was a bit of snow and they froze to
the snow line.  Lost one year's production.   Bushes are about 26 years old
and I have a hard time keeping them at 5-6 ft.  Climax is particularly
upright growing.  Soil being alkaline, we used wettable sulfur for the first
7 years or so.
    Hector Black zone 6 middle TN