[NAFEX] virus sensitivity and apple grafting

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sat Dec 10 07:20:39 EST 2005

All this talk of rootstocks has reminded me of the question I will face
this spring.  Last spring I bought some trees from Cummins.  Two of
them were trees I wanted, and I purchased the third mostly to trial its
rootstock.

Ashmeads Kernal of M7
Tydeman's Late ORange on M111
Golden Russet on G30 (purchased mostly for the rootstock)

I also want to grow a Karmijn, of which they were sold out.  I have a
couple of branches of Karmijn growing on a crab.  Other than the winter
moths and scab, they look healthy enough, but don't get much sun.

Does anyone know how sensitive G30 is to random viruses?  The simplest
thing to do would be to graft the Karmijn directly to the G30, but it's
on a crab with 4 other cultivars, and who knows what viruses lurk in
that tree.  (I had another multi-graft crab that died a couple of years
after I grafted to it.  We had two summers of drought, but I think it
was probably weakened by some virus.  I was careful about not moving
directly between the trees - washed everything and grafted on different
days with differently sourced scions, but it is a warning.)

So the safer thing is probably to move the Asmeads to the G30, and the
Karmijn to the M7.  But it's more work and exposes me to a higher risk
of messing up with the grafting.

Advice?

Also, if I'm grafting among trees on the property, would you recommend
grafting spring twigs or summer buds?  And if spring twigs, would you
collect them early, or just cut them when I am ready to use them, in
April?

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass.  zone 6