[NAFEX] Fruit for Georgia

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Dec 9 17:41:22 EST 2005

At 01:21 PM 12/9/2005, Doc L. wrote:
>Centennial Crab is my favorite apple??

Centennial worked well for my dad, at Auburn, down at the zone 7/8
interface, and I like it a lot, too.  Tasty little apple, but mine goes
mealy if you don't start eating them once they start showing some red color.
Yates, a north GA-origin apple gets good reviews from some folks, and
there's an outfit out of Tuskeegee(The Wildlife Group?) that sells both
Yates, and my favorite, Callaway crab, for folks to plant out on hunting
properties as 'soft mast' crops.
Callaway, though small(1-1.5" fruits), and now classified more as an
ornamental than an edible crab, is tasty, a heavy bearer, and pretty
disease-resistant.

Mr. James Lawson, if he's still operating his nursery at Ball Ground GA,
used to offer a good selection of fruit trees/berries that were proven to
produce in GA.
Johnson Nursery (in Ellijay, if I remember correctly)would probably be
another good GA fruit nursery to visit or communicate with.

Lucky