[NAFEX] apple grafting beginner question

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Dec 9 12:42:15 EST 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 12:40 PM, Deb Schneider wrote:

> > . . . Can I get a rootstock somewhere?   ; How  does one go about
> > picking a rootstock? . . .

I'll second Ginda's recommendation for Cummins Nursery.

Now, as to picking a rootstock...responses may be as varied as the number
of respondents.

I've come to the realization that, in my orchard, I need something that
will anchor well, and tolerates a clay soil and high water table.  M7 has
been the best performer for me - mileage will vary elsewhere.
Some folks will advocate selecting a rootstock for your particular
soil/growing conditions, and after that - size control is in YOUR hands,
regardless of rootstock or scion vigor.  Along those lines, I enjoy Ed
Laivo's take on dwarfing rootstocks and pruning -
Dwarf Tree?  But it's so BIG!
http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/all_ed/teds_head06_dwarf.html

Lucky