[NAFEX] fruit in Georgia

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Dec 9 10:14:46 EST 2005

At 08:53 AM 12/9/2005, Michele Stanton wrote:
>New topic: does anyone garden in the south in zones 7b/8a?
>(Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina)
>I would like to hear what fruits perform well for you

Others who are actually still in that part of the country will be weighing
in, I'm sure, but based on my experiences growing up in the Auburn AL area,
and still having friends/family there, I'll offer up a short list to start
the ball rolling:

Pears - low chill-hour requirements and fireblight resistance are fairly
important - Keiffer, Orient, Tennessee, Ayers, Ledbetter, Warren would be
good selections to start out with.
Rabbiteye blueberries are a must
Pomegranates worked well for me back home, in a somewhat sheltered location
Persimmons - Asian & American
Pecans - look for the scab-resistant selections recommended for home or
low-input plantings - Jenkins, McMillan, Syrup Mill, Gafford, Carter, and
the old standby, Elliott.