[NAFEX] pH and Citrus

mIEKAL aND dtv at mwt.net
Thu Dec 8 23:18:37 EST 2005

What's the ideal PH for citrus?

On Dec 8, 2005, at 5:29 PM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

> I had one of those cheap pH meters, too.  I scrubbed it with steel
> wool
> and stuck it in my soil.  It read 7.0.  I scrubbed it some more and
> wet
> down the soil more.  It read 7.0.  I brought it inside and filled a
> glass with one part vinegar and four parts water.  It read 7.0.  So I
> threw it away.
>
> Ginda
>
> On Dec 6, 2005, at 4:14 PM, John Smith wrote:
>
>> I agree it's a good idea to check the pH before
>> applying a remedy.  I even have one of the inexpensive
>> pH meters, however depsite what appears to be uniform
>> potting mix, I can get fairly wide-ranging readings
>> each time I put the probe in the pot.  So I don't feel
>> it's been very useful to get a good feel for the
>> problem.
>>
>> --- Jim Fruth <jfruth at uslink.net> wrote:
>>
>>>     When we have a pH problem/question, we should
>>> buy a pH meter.  Any
>>> reputable nursery should carry them or can order
>>> them - they cost around
>>> $20.  Harbor Freight sells Chinese copies for $2.29
>>> and they work as good as
>>> the expensive models.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Jim Fruth
>>> Brambleberry Farm
>>> Pequot Lakes, MN
>>> www.bberryfarm.com
>>>

>>> I have a couple of potted citrus and I have a PH
>>> question.
>>>
>>> Our water is hard, heavy with calcium.  By watering
>>> the potted citrus with
>>> this water it sweetens the soil.  Citurs like
>>> slightly acidic soil.  I
>>> believe this hard water is stunting my potted
>>> citrus.
>>>
>>> Is there a means to either make my water slightly
>>> acid or top dress the
>>> soil with an an acidifying amendment?
>>>
>>> The plants do very well outside with natural rain
>>> water during the summer,
>>> but coming indoors with hard water seems to set them
>>> back.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?  Possibly "Jobes" makes acidifying
>>> soil sticks?  Is
>>> melted snow acidic like rain water?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom

>>> Reproduction of list messages or archives is not
>>> allowed.
>>> This includes distribution on other email lists or
>>> reproduction on web sites.
>>> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't
>>> claim you have permission!
>>>
>>> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
>>> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed
>>> are discarded.
>>> No exceptions.
>>> ----
>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of
>>> this page (also can be used to change other email
>>> options):
>>>
>>> File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
>>> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER
>>> VIRUSES!
> [...]

24/7 PROTOMEDIA BREEDING GROUND

JOGLARS CROSSMEDIA BROADCAST
(collaborative text & media)
http://www.joglars.org

SPIDERTANGLE
International Network of VisPoets
http://www.spidertangle.net

XEXOXIAL EDITIONS
Appropriate Scale Publishing since 1980
http://www.xexoxial.org

INTERNALATIONAL DICTIONARY OF NEOLOGISMS
research | reference | ongoing collection
http://www.neologisms.us

Dreamtime Village
Hypermedia Permaculture EcoVillage in Southwest Wisconsin
http://www.dreamtimevillage.org

"The word is the first stereotype."  Isidore Isou, 1947.