[NAFEX] Best Dwarfing Rootstock for Pears?

Lamb Abbey Orchards lambabbey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 22:19:36 EST 2005

I'd have to go with Natelson's recommendation for Pyrodwarf.  My orchard is
located Zone 5a/Coastal Maine and I had about 250 trees budded onto
Pyrodwarf this past August after having looked into a handful of dwarfing
pear rootstocks.  The best option for a hardy dwarfing pear rootstock by far
looked to be this rootstock.  Check out the following PDF file:

http://tinyurl.com/dcpo3

It provides not only a good visual comparison between trees on Pyrodwarf vs.
Quince EMLA C, but also quantifies fruit weight, relative yield and a few
other characteristics.    I'll be planting these new trees in Spring of '07
and another block on Pyrodwarf in Spring of '08, 30 varieties total.   Ask
me next Summer and I'll let you know which varieties look to be compatible
with the Pyrodwarf.   I'm excited about trying it.

Cheers,

John

* * * * *

Lamb Abbey Orchards