[NAFEX] Best Dwarfing Rootstock for Pears?

sherwindu sherwindu at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 14:25:36 EST 2005

I'm trying to determine the best dwarfing rootstock for pears in zone
5.  I have
used Quince EMLA C in the past, with uneven results.  I realize that
there are
compatibility issues with certain varieties of pears, and that
interstems have been used
to solve that.  Just like to get the latest info on what is available.
My objectives would
be the most dwarfing possible, heartiness for zone 5, and compatibility
with pear
varieties (interstems would be acceptable, but not desirable).

As a side question, if I do use an interstem, does that decrease the
chances for getting
a successful grafted tree.  It is certainly more work and expense.