[NAFEX] Kaki & seed virus

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Wed Dec 7 11:35:41 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/7/2005 8:15:00 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
fidleir at yahoo.com writes:

> My understanding is that plant viruses aren't passed from mother to seed.

The Prunus Sharka virus is passed on through seed of all Prunus species that
it infects except P. cerasus, sour cherry. That is why APHIS doesn't allow
Prunus seed into this country, except P. cerasus.

However, I'd think you are right about kaki as that can be brought in with
the proper import permits, Phytosanitary Cert. and APHIS inspection upon entry
before released to the importer for growing.

Jerry