[NAFEX] pH and Citrus

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Tue Dec 6 08:25:36 EST 2005

    When we have a pH problem/question, we should buy a pH meter.  Any
reputable nursery should carry them or can order them - they cost around
$20.  Harbor Freight sells Chinese copies for $2.29 and they work as good as
the expensive models.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm

I have a couple of potted citrus and I have a PH question.

Our water is hard, heavy with calcium.  By watering the potted citrus with
this water it sweetens the soil.  Citurs like slightly acidic soil.  I
believe this hard water is stunting my potted citrus.

Is there a means to either make my water slightly acid or top dress the
soil with an an acidifying amendment?

The plants do very well outside with natural rain water during the summer,
but coming indoors with hard water seems to set them back.

Any suggestions?  Possibly "Jobes" makes acidifying soil sticks?  Is
melted snow acidic like rain water?

Thanks,
Tom