[NAFEX] bark damage

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Dec 5 19:04:38 EST 2005

Paul,
I thought you may find this article by Alan Biggs useful:
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/biggs/articles/Arbor90JA.PDF  It is
rather technical, but has some great information.

I use a pruning sealer for all bark injuries as well as pruning cuts to
prevent the entrance of any disease.   Lac Balsam, also known as artificial
bark, is the world's finest tree wound treatment. It was developed and
patented by horticulturists in Europe for use in grafting as well as tree
wound sealant. It provides protection against insect and disease organisms
that are attracted to open wounds. It comes with a brush which makes
application fast and easy.  So if you do grafting, this would be my
recommendation.  It can be found at http://treerx.com.  If you do no
grafting, then I would recommend NuBark at
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/product.asp?pf_id=2700&dept_id=71&mscssid=1
or Tanglefoot at http://www.biconet.com/tree/pruning.html.  Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard