[NAFEX] Raspberry planting question

Michael D. Bathrick bathrick at berkshire.net
Mon Dec 5 17:15:21 EST 2005

Hi, folks!

For starters, I am in zone 5 in the Berkshire Mountains of western
Massachusetts - actually in the Housatonic River Valley.

I received a Black Raspberry (Columbian) from NCGR Corvallis last
week, but of course it is a bit frozen over here, so could not get
it planted.  I potted it up in a mixture of peat and sand, watered
it and placed it in my unheated garage for the winter.  The door to
the garage is normally left open in a strange attempt to keep it
standing for a few more winters.  No vehicle is kept in it, and the
pots are placed in the back of the garage.

My question - did I handle this correctly?  Should I do something
else to try to get it to survive the winter?

Mike