[NAFEX] Claypool Persimmons

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 07:24:21 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/4/2005 6:47:36 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
jwraymon at yahoo.com writes:

> Does anyone have any experience with the following
> Claypool selections?
>
> L-128-a  (JuhlxSzukis)
> I-94A  (LENAxEARLYGOLDEN)
> J-62  (LENAxGARRETSON)
> I-97  (LENAxEARLYGOLDEN)
> J-74  (LENAxGARRETSON)
>
> I'm curious to know about availability of scion wood and whether any of them
> have monoecious tendencies.

Hi John,

You apparently have been on line at the Indiana Nut Growers site and found
the Claypool records. The only American persimmon that I would consider
monoecious is the Szukis and then only 1/3 of the time as it's sexuality flip flops
around when grafted.

I should be able to get wood of those and others you may wish to grow and
test. For the past 10 years or so I've made an annual spring pilgrimage to
Claypool's orchard to collect wood. It is an all day project, plus another to
process it all. Unless you are getting commercial quantities I only ask for postage
and something to help cover the cost of gas as it is a three hour drive.

Jerry