[NAFEX] pears' fall colors

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 4 18:53:13 EST 2005

This fall was especially good for fall color here in Eastern NC.

Pear cultivars with especially brilliant fall color were Ya Li, Spalding and P3 (an inbred descendant of Kieffer).  The latter two cultivars are pretty dependably colorful.  Colors ranged from crimson to orange and golden.

Apples never have as spectacular fall color and the best I've seen is still only yellow- no other colors.  This year the Liberty and Enterprise looked OK, but the ones that really had nice yellow fall color were Detroit Red and Pettengill.  Many of the other cultivars are still green.

Anton
Zone 8 where the Fuyu's were just picked (Possum already got about a third of the crop).