[NAFEX] Pomegranate

natelson at stehlinclinic.com natelson at stehlinclinic.com
Sat Dec 3 21:11:48 EST 2005

Dear Marie,

     Several years ago I received cuttings of 22 numbered and named
Russian (15) and Iranian (7)pomegranates.  One turned out to be a
dwarf and it is the least cold hardy of the bunch (yes, we
occasionally have freezes here).  It lives, but has never fruited.
It might be useful as a dwarfing rootstock.  Their names are all as
unpronounceable as Sverkhranniy.  I have fruited virtually all of the
rest and several are very large and heavily productive, and some are
sweet.  The closest to your spelling are R-31 (Saartuzski) and R-5
(Sakerdze).  Despite their being collected from very cold climates,
here in Houston(zone 9)they ripen at the same time as well-known
varieties such as Cloud and Eversweet.

     If you can spare a cutting of Sverkhranniy, I would like to try it
with its cousins, and see if it is any earlier to ripen. Moreover, if
anyone wants any of mine, I would be happy to provide cuttings.  My
address is Ethan Natelson, 8707 Wateka Drive, Houston, TX 77074.  I
would reimburse you for any postage, etc. Thank you.

                             Regards, Ethan