[NAFEX] Cold Peaches ?/grafting

Rondi nafex at mokalive.com
Sat Dec 3 13:57:39 EST 2005

Green Light!

Seeing peaches are brought up I was wondering what grafting method are
recommended. I have several 3 year old Red Haven seedlings (15 of them)
and want to know what my options are other then pruning and seeing what
I get for fruit. What are the success rate of each method? I am new to
peaches though I have grafted apples with moderate success; at least I
learned some valuable lessons.

I also have 3 Marianna rootstock in a stooling bed planted this last
spring that I have done nothing with. Having babies changes priorities
for a time. It doesn't make sense to put saw dust on them now so what
do you all recommend.

Thanks!

And yes, Dave thanks for the most excellent report!
Rondi

On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:47 PM, nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:40:02 -0600
> From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cold Peaches ?
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Thanks Doreen, coming from you this is a tremendous compliment.
>
> I have Saturn as a branch on one of my seedlings but it is young. Came
> through a winter that was tough on peach buds last year as a bud
> though. The good thing about grafting on established trees is that you
> get a lot of growth right away. My Saturn made about 4 1/2' of new
> growth this summer and is ready for a good test. Peaches like it here
> in the summer, its only the winter that gives them a few slight
> problems.
>
> Dave
"The right to life is the source of all rights--and the right to
property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no
other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own
effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no
means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of
his product, is a slave."
  -Ayn Rand