[NAFEX] Pomegranate

lee reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Sat Dec 3 10:48:34 EST 2005

I got around the winter kill problem for pomegranates here in zone
4/5 by growing my plant in a pot which I kept in cool storage after
it went dormant for the winter. The problem is that after 5-10 years,
the plant had still never bloomed. I finally got rid of the plant.
Any suggestions, beyond the obvious, for the lack of blossoming?

It seems to me that another limitation for pomegranate in the in the
northern areas of eastern U.S. would be that there would be
insufficient heat and time to ripen the fruits well. Not to mention
untimely rains splitting the fruits open. All of which is why I chose
to grow mine in pots, where I could get the plants growing early and
then ripen them, if needed, in the greenhouse.

Lee Reich, PhD
www.leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden