[NAFEX] Pomegranate

MARIE ASHTON bwoodtx at verizon.net
Fri Dec 2 23:03:10 EST 2005

Are you in 6a or 6b?    6b is down to -5 and there are some possible varieties that might work. 6a at down to -10 is a little chancey but worth a try. Since pomegranates bear fruit on new wood you do not have to worry about buds being killed. If you have a winter snow cover then there is also a variety that might  work (under the snow cover).
But to state again 6b is a good possibility with the new (in the US) Russian/Central Asian varieties. The varieties that I would recommend are "Kazake" or "Salavatski". "Agat" if under snow cover (a low growing, good fruiting
pomegranate). If want to try one let me know and I will try to see that you get one to try, but pomegranates like a lot of fruit trees do not reach their best cold hardiness until about the third year and would need to be somewhat protected the first two years.
Richard Ashton