[NAFEX] Manganese poisoning test proposal.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Dec 2 01:11:26 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/1/2005 7:15:16 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
topgun at otelco.net writes:

> Are you sure it is Manganese deficency? In Louisiana the wetter sites with
> pecans had the highest Manganese levels. I ran over 1,000 samples over
> several years and this was the trend. Corn can show stripes from Magnesium
> as well as zinc deficiencies

It has been suggested but never proven that one cause of kaki death is
Manganese poisoning due to low pH or acid soil. Lee is correct, sulfur would only
worsen the problem.  Unless that isn't one of the causes of KSD. Someone where
kaki can be grown and is on acid soil needs to set up an experiment. I can't do
it in Indiana.

What I'd suggest is as follows. Establish 10 D. virginiana 90 chromosome
seedlings in a block on low pH soil where KSD is a known problem. Then in another
area next to it another 10 D. virginiana 90C seedlings and lime that area so
the pH is 6.5 or higher at a depth of 12 inches. Once the seedlings are
established, about 3 years, graft them all to a variety of kaki and I'd suggest Jiro.
If the grafts in the acid soil shepherd hook and die while those on the limed
block survive it would be good evidence of mineral poising. Would it not?
Discussion please.

I'll supply all the seeds anyone needs free.

Jerry