[NAFEX] Tree Health and Caution about Soil Assumptions

BRosholdt rosholdt at erols.com
Thu Dec 1 19:03:20 EST 2005

 From what I read (below), the whole situation sounds very mysterious,
and I have been reading about very peculiar eco-situations that it took
some detective work to really find what was happening.  I am not an
expert, but know, as most do about the use of organic matter and its
ameliorating impact on pH.  I'm sure it has been said before, but don't
go messing around with minerals/fertilizers/composts/soils unless you
have some excellent advice when you start.  Naturally, soils are a
living thing, and as such, have some eccentricities, just like most
living things.

I found to my unpleasant surprise that our state extension office
recommendations would have had me completely overdoing the lime thing
(by about 3 Tons/acre!) because they are not used to recommending to
people not involved in total chemical agriculture - that is - where you
kill the soil, then buy the agribusiness' fertilizers and brews to grow
plants in the remaining stuff.  I ended up having to search for soil
analysts who were a bit more saavy (and expensive), but actually helped
me figure out how to reclaim a bulldozed area for growing plants and
gradually improve the soil, specifically to encourage the life that goes
on it, especially the fungi that support trees and the microbes that
support garden veggies.  Before we started with them, not even weeds
would grow there.

The point to this note about the life of the soil is that it makes a
very big difference to the survival and health of plants growing on the
soil whether or not there is life and available nutrients.  Nutrients
are not necessarily available at a particular pH, we all know.  But lots
of the basic soil/mineral rules change when compost, humic acids and
earthworms are added to the equation.  Here is a starting point for
getting more info on this critical topic.  http://soils.tfrec.wsu.edu/.
Here also is a wonderful source for soil foodweb info:
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/site_map.html

Barb
z6c/7a VA