[NAFEX] rooting difficult -to-root cuttings using Agrobacteriumrhizogenes

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 30 21:19:54 EDT 2005

Agrobacterium rhizogenes is a naturally-occurring soil pathogen.

It is important to realize that while the wild-type bacterium is effective in inducing roots, the roots that form from such an infection are not desirable from a production standpoint.  The scientists that are using this species have mostly worked with this bacterium as a proof-of-concept sort of thing.  A more useful method of harnessing this bacterium is to first put it's root-inducing plant-hormone gene(s) under an inducible promoter so that the roots are initiated, but then the hormone can be turned off by the human and the roots can continue growth as "normal" roots.  The bacteria themselves are destroyed, but since the plant growth is altered by insertion of specific bacterial genes into the plant chromosomes, the plant growth can subsequently be regulated without any bacteria present.  Without knowledge and facilities to properly modify and contain this bacterium, its probably better to leave this "bug" alone.  It and it's cousin A. tumefaciens are serious pests in their wild state.  Plus, even though the wild Agrobacteria have been producing genetically-modified plants for millenia,  there are pretty strict regulations about humans knowingly planting transgenic plants in the open without prior license to do so.

However, I do encourage you to seek out a local plant molecular biologist at your nearest university and talk to them about these fascinating and useful critters.

Anton