[NAFEX] A roundup of weed control alternatives

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 20:43:56 EDT 2005

For weed control I always ask a set of questions like
how much time & energy I have, today/this weekend?
how soon do I want bare ground for planting?
do I want to clear out everything?
can I handle all the plants at least as safely as working with an herbicide?

Examples:
If I have all day Saturday to prep for a planting on Sunday, and I want bare
soil where there is now lawn, and I can peel it off with a spade or
cutter... then doing it all by grunt-work is preferable to spraying
(prepping, mixing/filling, hefting or hauling the sprayer, trying to avoid
getting the drift on me & desireable plants, cleaning up thoroughly &
safely, etc... Gad!)

If I have a year to prep an area, an area filled with poison ivy, and it's a
larger area, without many desireable plants to protect or avoid, then I'll
probably spray.

I once heard an interesting debate on which sod-killing method does more
damage to environment-- repeated tillage (uses lots of fossil-fuels), or a
spray or 2 of herbicide?