[NAFEX] "Roundup" and other -cide effects

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Thu Apr 28 18:16:34 EDT 2005

Interesting pair of stories.  I have used herbicides sparingly to kill
poison ivy, and I kept the cats in for a day after I sprayed.  I think
herbicides probably have a place.  But I am nervous about the enormous
amounts being used these days.  In particular, one danger of "roundup
ready" crops is that they might carry a heavy load of herbicide right
to your table.  An ordinary crop that was contaminated with significant
amounts of herbicide would die, and not end up in the human food supply
- not so "roundup ready" crops.  I suspect that testing to see if the
crop is "safe" totally misses this risk.

As to the safety of using Roundup in your yard- the story I heard was
not that it was all that safe, but that it binds very tightly to soil,
so it is immobilized very quickly after it is applied and is no longer
biologically available to poison you, your pets, or even plants that
are planted the next day.  I've never used roundup, because that didn't
sound all that safe, and it's not very effective against poison ivy,
which is the only plant I want to control that I can't just pull out or
cut down.   I have friends who use it all the time, though.

Ginda