[NAFEX] apple trees unusual color

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Tue Apr 26 21:42:50 EDT 2005

Hi Richard, hope I can be of some help.
Barring some problem that the Internet cannot "see", I would say you are fine. Most
of the trees in my daily travel path all have red-barked young growth. Its normal.
The Dolgo in my front yard does it every year. We have had a dry spring, although
this weekend helped immensely, and weren't those red branches gorgeous after the
rain? Why does this coloring occur so strongly here in Maine? My theory is our
fluctuating spring temps, with the air temps at 60+ degrees (74 many times even in
early April) then 20's at night, and all this while the tree's roots are still
frozen! Kinda like our checks getting red when cold then warmed and vice versa...?
If there is no shriveling of bark and the terminal buds look good, as well as
healthy wood beneath the red bark, you are good to go. Welcome to the variance of
zones in Maine!
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine
On Sat Apr 23 11:47 , 'Richard MURPHY' <murphman108 at msn.com> sent: