[NAFEX] apple trees unusual color

Richard MURPHY murphman108 at msn.com
Sat Apr 23 12:47:05 EDT 2005

Hello Clan;

My name is Richard Murphy.
Last spring I planted some apple trees in New Sharon, Maine, zone 4.
This new orchard is in a hay field; lots of open space and sun, with clayish loam.
Last week I inspected the trees for the first time; (I live in Massachusetts.)
They all seem to have a reddish-brown color, the bark, that is.
They all were in silver-tip, and under the outer bark is nice and green.
Is this wind damage? Sunscald? Typical for young trees?
My trees here in zone 5 never did this.
Are the Maine trees going to croak?
Some trees had mouse damage (girdled), stupid ME for not using guards.
Even the non-gridled trees are unusually reddish brown, but fine (green & healthy) inside.

H E L P ! ! !   Anyone?

Thank you

Richard