[NAFEX] precocity

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Wed Apr 20 07:33:06 EDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:11:25 +0000, Ed Forest <edforest55 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Doreen wrote:

> The fungi is so expensive though, the prices have really gone up. Where
> do you buy your's?

Hi Doreen,

I do not buy mycorrhizal fungi anymore, it is too easy to grow yourself.

Researchers have used potted leaks for maintaining cultures of myco fungi,
for the symbiotic relationship is so good.  They just cut some roots and
dirt off the bottom, and repot the leak with additional soil.  What they
cut off is used as innoculant.  The leak is periodicaly cut back to extend
its life.

I do not grow leaks, I use an amarylis bulb.  This year it produced two
flower stems with a total of 6 blooms.  I have had the bulb for years.  It
amazes me to see such large roots.  So by innoculating a plant I keep
anyway, I get mycorrhizal production too.

You have to be careful not to use manmade fertilizer, as it kills off the
myco fungi.

My advice...  Buy a very good blend of myco fungi just once and grow it
yourself.

Later,
Tom